Digital marketing – otherwise known as online marketing, internet marketing, online advertising, internet marketing (you get the idea) – is a way to connect your products and/or services with potential customers through various digital channels.
So, when we refer to digital marketing, we aren’t talking about flyers, mailers or billboards. Rather, we are speaking about Google and Facebook ads, email marketing, social media marketing, etc.
Why Digital Marketing Matters
We now live in a technology-driven world. Unfortunately, many of us see the world through our phones. On an individual basis, this has proven to be unhealthy (we’ll talk more about it in a later post). As marketers, this creates an enormous opportunity.
No longer are people looking up at billboards when the drive by in a car. Instead, they are looking down at their lap and probably swerving into the other lane.
We’re firing off Tweets, emails and texts while we wait five minutes for a fancy coffee.
Neighbors are buying their pets online.
The point is…the eyes are on our phones and other digital devices so that’s where our efforts should be focused on.
Types of Digital Marketing Channels
The list of strategies continue to evolve as human behavior and technology advances. At a high level, the following are the most effective channels used by digital marketers today.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): SEO is the strategy of ranking your site and web pages organically on search engines such as Google and Bing. If effective, the ROI can be very high.
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM): SEM is a way to display your site in search engines by paying for it.
- Pay-Per-Click Advertising (PPC): Google and Facebook ads are examples of PPC programs. Just like the naming convention sounds, these are paid ads that you only pay for when someone clicks on the link. Eyeballs (w/o action) on the ad costs zero dollars.
- Social Media Marketing (SMM): This has gained major popularity in the last handful of years as more of our lives are on social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook. SMM is paid and organic reach on social media sites to help drive influence, traffic and sales.
- Content Marketing: Content marketing is leveraging digital assets to provide information that is relevant and useful to the reader or viewer. Examples include blog posts, e-books, infographics and videos).
- Affiliate Marketing: Affiliate marketing can expand your reach by paying an individual or company to promote your products or services.
- Email Marketing: Done the right way, email marketing can still be a viable option for marketers to get their message across. This is especially true if you have an email list built on trust. ConvertKit is our go-to.
The Complicated World of Digital Marketing
The world of digital marketing will always be forever changing. The major reason is due the technologies we use everyday to make our lives easier. We live in an incredible time where we have the world at an arm’s reach. Smart digital marketers know where and when to invest so that they can get the highest ROI possible for their clients or themselves.
We’ll continue to take a deeper dive into specific digital marketing strategies. In this post, I just wanted to provide a snapshot of what digital marketing is.